Welcome!


Welcome to my new blog.

It has been suggested to me for a while to start this blog.  But I was reluctant for a number of reasons; not least of these being (I must admit) that I didn’t really have an idea of what a blog is as I don’t follow any myself. 

When I started looking at some liturgical blogs there were a couple of things that struck me – it seems that virtually all of them are somewhere between “rather” and “very” traditionalist; and more often than not they aspire to a “quality” (for want of a better word) of music than most parish groups (in my experience) are incapable of – much as I love a bit of Byrd, Palestrina and Allegri I have never been involved in a parish where we had the resources and skills to pull it off.

So, deeply influenced by the Dirty Harry philosophy of life (“A man’s got to know his limitations!”), this blog is aimed at grassroot liturgists like myself.  Based on my own experiences – successes and failures – it will contain reflections, practical suggestions and an exploration of why we do what we do – including what we “should” do.  Although we grassroot liturgists have to recognise and live within our limitations, by no means does that mean that we cannot be aspirational in what we do.

One thing is for certain – you never stop learning in the Music and Liturgy ministry.  It is a never-ceasing journey of discovery.  You think you have reached a plateau when, suddenly, something comes along that enables the liturgy in your parish to grow.  And that’s so important; because once you cease to grow, you start to die.

Comments

  1. Hello Andrew. Norman here. Good luck with the Blog. Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norman. I'm beginning to wonder what I have taken on....but that's a familiar feeling for me! :-)
      Please don't feel shy in sticking your oar in - I'm hoping that this will become a resource that many will contribute.

      Delete
  2. Well done Andrew. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What does “Fever Pitch” (film, 1997) teach us about liturgy?

Don't forget to nurture your own faith.

Gospel Acclamation